Looking for a few tools to add to your bag of tricks? We’ve compiled a short list of things we’ve found useful in the past, from Game Engines, Dev tools, Audio Editors and Image generators. Check out the list below.
- Love https://love2d.org/ – A free Lua game engine
- Stencyl http://www.stencyl.com/stencylworks/overview/ - A Flash based game making tool.
- GameSalad http://gamesalad.com/ – A Flash based game making tool.
- Flixel http://www.flixel.org/ - Flash based game making library.
- FlatRedBall http://www.flatredball.com/frb/blog/XNA based engine
- Scratch http://scratch.mit.edu/ - A game development tool for young children
- Corona http://www.anscamobile.com/ - A free to use (for dev only) mobile device simulator using LUA.
- UDK - Unreal 3 engine and tools
- Unity http://unity3d.com/ - Unity 3 is a game development tool that has been designed to let you focus on creating amazing games.
- XNA - A game development platform based on .net
- Komodo Edit http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit - Code Editor with auto-complete, syntax highlighting etc for several languages
- PolyVox http://www.volumesoffun.com/polyvox-about/ – A fast and light C++ library for the storage and processing of volumetric (voxel-based) environments.
- Zoetrope – A free library for making 2d games that runs ontop of LOVE. (See link above).
Animation Tools/Image Editors:
- Inkscape http://inkscape.org/ - An Open-Source Vector Graphics Editor.
- Graphics Gale http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/download.html - Animation Graphics Editor, useful for pixel art. (Windows Only)
- Maya http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/ - 3D animation software delivers an end-to-end creative workflow with comprehensive tools for animation, modeling, simulation, visual effects, rendering, matchmoving, and compositing on a highly extensible production platform
- GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ - Graphics and image editor, similar to photoshop.
- Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/ - Free image and photo editing software (Windows only). It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
- Blender http://blender.org - An open source 3D modeling tool
- Hexels http://hexraystudios.com/hexels/ – A free tool for making pixel art
- Pyxel Edit http://pyxeledit.com/index.php – A free tool for making pixel art
- Soundbyter http://www.soundbyter.com/ - A Collection of free sound effects
- Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/- An Open-Source audio editing program
- Bfxr http://www.bfxr.net/ - A neat little browser based synth programe for generating simple sound effects. Results can be downloaded as .wav files.